After 2-Year Absence, Prince William and Kate Middleton Attend 2023 BAFTAs
Royal Family news reveals that Prince William and Kate Middleton showed up at the 2023 BAFTAs ceremony for the first time in two years and they were dressed to the nines. Continue reading and we’ll spill the Earl Grey.
Royal Family News: Prince William and Kate Stun at BAFTAs
Royal Family news reveals that, according to PEOPLE, the Prince and Princess of Wales stunned at the 76th British Academy Film Awards on Sunday, February 19. It was the royal couple’s first such visit in two years.
William, 40, wore a black suit complete with a velvet blazer and bow tie and according to Today, the Princess of Wales honored the event’s theme of sustainability by wearing a restyled Alexander McQueen gown that she first wore to the BAFTAs in 2019. Us Weekly confirmed earlier this month that the prince and his wife would be attending the awards ceremony.
Why Have Prince William and Kate Middleton Been MIA?
The Prince of Wales, who has been the president of the BAFTAs organization since 2010, and his wife Catherine did not attend last year’s BAFTAs due to “diary constraints.” In lieu of an appearance, William recorded a video message that was played during the March 2022 event.
“As president of BAFTA, I’m extremely proud to see the work that the BAFTA undertakes year-round to provide opportunities and support for talented people to develop successful careers in film, games, and television,” the heir apparent said at the time.
“BAFTA hopes to inspire future generations from all walks of life to become the filmmakers of the future, and I hope that for some of those watching these awards, that journey starts today.”
Prince William’s History with BAFTAs
The then-Duke and Duchess of Cambridge also skipped the event in 2021, held one week following the death of William’s grandfather Prince Phillip passed away at the age of 99.
“Tonight, we want to say on behalf of BAFTA that we are extremely saddened by the passing of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, on Friday,” said the 2021 host, Clara Amfo during the ceremony held in March 2021. “The duke was BAFTA’s very first president over 60 years ago and was the first in a line of royal patronages all the way through to BAFTA’s current president, his grandson, the Duke of Cambridge.”
Amfo continued at the time: “It was Prince Philip and Her Majesty the Queen’s support throughout these years that in many ways allowed BAFTA, a leading charity in the arts, to continue in difficult times and to be here today in 2021 celebrating another outstanding year of achievement in film. The Duke of Edinburgh occupies a very special place in BAFTA history. He will be missed. Our thoughts are with the royal family.”
Be sure and stay up to speed on this and other royally related stories. Return here often for more Royal Family news and updates.
[…] Prince William has been the BAFTA’s President since 2010. He pulled out of an appearance at the event after the death of his grandfather, Prince Philip, back in 2021. This year’s ceremony was special for the couple since it marked their first time on the red carpet as the Prince and Princess of Wales. […]